We want to say a very heartfelt THANK YOU to Celine “Zia” Newman for her past 14 years of ministry at Lutherhaven. She has been a key member of the Lutherhaven team, directing fourteen adventurous summers, hundreds of outdoor education school groups, and scores of Spirit-filled, year-round youth retreats. She is a faithful, gifted leader who has invested in Lutherhaven’s mission both personally and professionally. We will miss her (& Takoda) and are excited for where God is leading her to serve next!
For the next couple of months, Celine plans to remain in the area. From there, if you find yourself in northwest New Mexico, on the beaches of southern California, hiking the mountains out west, living up life in Ft. Wayne, walking down Main Street USA, or on a mission trip in Nepal or South America, you may just find her there! If you have a ministry opportunity in one of those places, she would probably love to talk with you about it.
To celebrate Celine’s ministry at Lutherhaven, we have a couple things planned and invite you to join us!
- We are having a Card Shower! Send a card or note to Celine Newman at 1596 S 150 W, Albion, IN 46701 to let her know how much you have appreciated her service at Lutherhaven these past many years.
- A Celebration Video is being created for Celine featuring all the years she has worked at Camp! If you have a great photo or video of Celine at Lutherhaven to add or you would like to be a part of the video, please email email@example.com for more information by April 1st.
We are grateful for Celine’s ministry and pray God’s blessings over her as she seeks what the Lord has for her next! God be with you, Celine!
Camp Lutherhaven is excited to introduce Keith Peters as our next Director of Summer & Youth Ministry! We welcome Keith, his wife Jana, and their three daughters to the Lutherhaven family.
Keith was born and raised in Oklahoma. He spent six memorable summers on staff at Camp Lutherhoma during high school and college. Continuing his passion for Outdoors Ministry he was part of Walcamp Outdoor Ministries, IL as the Program Director from 2003-2008.
Keith met his wife Jana at Walcamp, where they partnered to run Walcamp’s Special Needs Camps. Though passionate about camp ministry, God arranged for him to join the staff at Fellowship of Faith Church (LCMS) as a Spiritual Formation Guide and contributed to the areas of adult studies, new members, leadership of small group ministries and music/curriculum for Sunday School. During this time at FOF Keith and Jana started their family expansion and have three lovely daughters – each unique and amazing in their own ways. Keith also received his Masters in Religion through Concordia Chicago while at FOF. Feeling the pull back to camp ministry, Keith took a position at Lake Geneva Camps and Conferences as the Assistant Program Director in 2016.
- Jana is a Deaconess with the Lutheran Church Missouri Synod and has worked in disability ministry most of her career. She is a loving mother and a very patient wife.
- Rose just started high school and is a reader and a runner.
- Emily is in 5thgrade and loves art, creativity and being the center of attention!
- Autumn is in Kindergarten, loves silly songs with Larry, really loves her family and has a sweet tooth.
- Keith loves the Bible – everything about it. He devours commentaries and loves teaching and learning scripture. He also runs every day, loves blue grass music and good coffee. A combination that his family finds both a little weird and a lot of crazy, but he is okay with that.
Grateful for this wealth of experience in both camp and parish ministry, Keith and his family are ecstatic to be joining the Lutherhaven community the beginning of March.
Here are some ways you, your congregation, or community can help Camp Lutherhaven during the COVID-19 pandemic.
Spread the Word
- In Person: Share with your friends and family about Camp Lutherhaven and encourage them to join you in supporting Camp.
- At Church: Be an advocate for Lutherhaven in your church. Share with your pastor, youth leader, or small group about Camp Lutherhaven and how they can support this ministry. Click the links below for some resources you can share with your church today!
- In Your Community:
- Hold an event or fundraiser to raise money to support Camp Lutherhaven.
- Collect a special offering
- On Social Media:
Commit Long Term
The True North Relief Fund has been created in response to help meet Lutherhaven’s immediate needs during the COVID-19 pandemic.
However, we do not know how long this pandemic or it’s effects will last. Donors who give monthly and yearly make a huge difference in Lutherhaven’s ability to carry out the mission and ministry. Would you consider becoming a monthly supporter today?
Give online or for more information, please call our office at 260.636.7101 and we will be glad to talk with you about a plan for giving.
We believe God hears our prayers and answers them. Please join us in praying for Camp Lutherhaven during this time.
- Pray that people would respond to the needs of Camp.
- Pray for wisdom and strength for the Lutherhaven staff.
- Pray for continued safety and health for all the guests who come to Lutherhaven and the staff who serve them.
- Pray for the transition of staff members during this time.
Position Available: Director of Summer and Youth Ministry
Camp Lutherhaven Outdoors Ministry Center, Albion, IN, www.lutherhaven.org
- Full-time, salaried with benefits
- To apply, submit a cover letter and resume via mail or Email to:
Attn: Tim Jank
1595 S. 150 W.
Albion, IN 46701-9695
Camp Lutherhaven is actively seeking to fill its Director of Summer and Youth Ministry position with a person who is excited to invest in the lives of children, youth, and young adults with Christ’s love in an outdoor Camp setting. This position is a key part of Lutherhaven’s staff leadership team.
- Oversee and direct Lutherhaven’s year-round youth and summer camp programs including program/spiritual development, administration, personnel, supervision, and evaluation. (For more information see the full job description)
- A strong Christian faith; A member of a Lutheran Church – Missouri Synod congregation
- Demonstrates support and commitment to the mission, vision, and values of Camp Lutherhaven
- A college education with at least a bachelor’s degree
- Experience serving in children/youth/family and outdoors ministry
- Experience in a leadership position
- Ability to work several consecutive, 20,000+ step days and several 75 hour weeks in a row
- Experience in, and an appreciation for, being in God’s creation
- Committed to a team ministry with other workers centered around Jesus Christ
- Strong organizational and decision making skills
- Flexible, proactive, resourceful, resilient and efficient
- Good written and verbal communication skills
- Proficient in Microsoft Word, Excel, Publisher, and PowerPoint – and Internet use.
- Warm and friendly personality, ability to relate well with a diversity of other people
- Motivated spiritually, with a strong sense of Christian servanthood, stewardship, and outreach
- A life-long learner, pursuing excellence, and valuing personal holistic health
- Musical leadership abilities including voice and guitar/piano
- Certifications and/or skill set: CPR, First Aid(physical and mental), Lifeguard, Low Ropes Course Facilitator, Boating, Archery
Why work at Camp Lutherhaven?
Camp Lutherhaven is a year-round outdoor ministry center that has been helping create adventurous, faith-building experiences for children, youth, adults, and families for over 70 years! A beautiful setting, comfortable facilities, a supportive ministry team, and a Camp community that stands behind its mission combine for a great recipe to make a real difference for Christ.
It’s with a heart full of emotions that I share the news that Celine Newman, Camp’s Director of Summer and Youth Ministry for almost 14 years, has made the difficult decision to step down from the Lutherhaven staff team.
My heart is thankful because Celine has been a key member of Camp’s staff, directing fourteen adventurous summers, hundreds of outdoor education school groups, and scores of Spirit-filled, year-round youth retreats. She is a faithful, gifted leader who has invested in Lutherhaven’s mission both personally and professionally. We will miss her profoundly!
My heart is also excited because God is doing a new thing! Both for Celine and for Lutherhaven’s ministry. Celine is not sure what exactly that new adventure looks like yet, and we don’t know who God would have fill this important position at Camp. However, we do know that God is faithful and is always working His good amidst all things. What better hands could our futures be in?!
Celine has graciously offered to be flexible and assist with this transition as needed. Watch our website and Facebook for details on filling the Director of Summer and Youth Ministry position in the months to come. In the meantime, please lift up Celine and Camp Lutherhaven in prayer as we look to our Heavenly Father to direct our paths as we put our trust in Him.
In Christ, our True North,
Camp Lutherhaven invites your family to come out for a Family Getaway!
Families are welcome to visit Lutherhaven for a day or overnight to explore the trails, splash in Lake Muncie or take a boat out, play on the playground, and have a picnic! If staying overnight, sleep in one of Lutherhaven’s cabins or bring your own tent, cook dinner over a fire, enjoy seeing the sunset, and watch the stars come out!
At this time, Lutherhaven is offering these Family Getaways free of charge and asking families to consider making a free will donation.
Personal retreats also continue to be available for individuals to spend time with God in His creation at Lutherhaven.
If you are interested in setting up a Family Getaway for your family or a personal retreat, please contact Bethany at firstname.lastname@example.org or 260-636-7101 for more information. We look forward to seeing you and your family at Lutherhaven this fall!