Last updated February 10, 2021
Throughout its history, Camp Lutherhaven has been committed to providing adventurous, faith-building experiences for children, youth, adults, and families while maintaining high standards of safety for the well being of every person who attends. Although we’re hopeful the pandemic landscape will be greatly improved by this upcoming summer, we’re preparing as if things will remain largely unchanged.
We’re sharing this information with you in the spirit of full disclosure: we want you to know what you’re signing up for. If things improve, it’s very likely that we will be able to expand our capacity and curtail or even eliminate some of these policies. But no matter what happens, Camp is still going to be camp! If you have any questions about our plan, please let us know by emailing email@example.com or call us at (260) 636-7101.
- HEALTH AND SAFETY PLAN – A snap shot of how we’re addressing the health and safety of summer camp using the latest COVID-19 guidelines developed by local, state, and national health authorities.
- PROGRAM CHANGES – Noteworthy changes to our normal summer program for 2021.
- WORRY-FREE REGISTRATION – Options if your camp session is canceled or you cannot attend due to Covid-19.
- FUTURE INFORMATION – How we will communicate with you moving forward.
The health and safety of each camper, guest, and staff member is of utmost importance to us here at Camp Lutherhaven. In an effort to reduce the risks of the COVID-19 pandemic, we are implementing the following plan. Please note that we will continue to refine this plan as additional or changing guidelines are released affecting camps. As in the past, we are committed to a safe and healthy summer.
|We have reduced the weekly capacity of Camp to give campers and staff more space to socially distance.||Face coverings will be worn in accordance with Indiana state and local guidelines. More clarity in this area will come as we get closer to summer.|
|Campers will fill out a pre-screening form before their camp session. They will also be screened upon arrival as well as each day they’re at Camp.||Social distancing will take place between family groups while still engaging in the excitement and fun of shared activities.|
|Daily cleaning and disinfecting protocols have been enhanced to provide a safer environment.|
|Outside When Possible
|We aim to have campers outside as much as possible, where sunshine and fresh air abound and the risk of disease transmission is low.|
In response to government regulations, as well as best practices for creating a safe summer camp environment, the following changes have been made for Summer 2021 Camp Sessions:
- Camp Cohorts
Thankfully the Lutherhaven summer camp program has had cohorts for years. Combining cabins into small groups is key to creating a positive camp community. With Covid-19 guidelines, the biggest difference will be the practice of maintaining the distance between these small groups. While this will change the way we gather in large group settings, the belonging that happens in the cabin and family groups will remain the same.
- Adapting Camp Activities
Camp is all about being together, and we recognize that some of the social distancing practices are not conducive for many of the activities we do at Lutherhaven. As a result, and as guidelines dictate, we will be modifying or temporarily discontinuing some of our closer-proximity activities while maintaining an adventurous, fun and safe experience.
- No Opening or Closing Program
Limiting potential exposure will be an important practice for our Camp community this summer. In the spirit of this practice, Camp will unfortunately not have an opening or closing program for the parents and families of our campers. Instead, the camp week will begin once a camper has moved in, connected with their counselor, and parents have said their goodbyes. At the end of a session, pick-up will happen at their cabin. The times for check-in and pick-up are listed in your Parent Handbooks located on the Parent Portal.
- No Off-Site Activities
In the same effort to limit potential exposure throughout the week, Campers will not make off-site trips during the week. This includes visits to Chain O’Lakes State Park, rock wall climbing, and horse camp. We look forward to being able to resume these trips in 2022.
- No Afternoon Freetime Period
Freetime archery, crafts, swimming, boating, basketball court, game room have all been highlights of the day for many campers. While the need to keep groups separate will not allow for our traditional Freetime period, cabins will still be able to choose these activities throughout the week. So you can still take the time to hit that bullseye or sit with your friends in the craft room throughout the week.
- Weekend Family Camp Changes
In order to provide adequate cleaning and turnover time between camp sessions, our weekend family programing will end at 11:00 am on Sunday and will not include Sunday Dinner. However, we are sure the weekend will still be full of all the great family programming and fun to be shared.
- Camp Sessions Postponed until Summer 2022
With changes to the interaction of small groups and limiting interaction with outside groups, the following summer programs will be postponed for the summer.
- Adventure Unlimited
- Discovery Week (some sessions will be provided as their own camp session in 2021)
- Horse Camp
- Soccer Camp
- All Boys Treetop
- All Girls Treetop
Summer camp refunds can be given in full for any illness, concern, or complication related to the Covid-19 virus. Just call the Camp office to discuss any questions or concerns you might have.
We apologize if your session becomes cancelled. If this were to happen, (and we’re hoping it doesn’t!) we will send you an email with a response form to complete telling us how to process your cancelled registration along with any payment. You will be given the following options:
- Switch to a Later Session – Transfer your registration to a later open session in the summer.
- Forward to 2022 – Forward your payment to be used in 2022.
- Donate – Donate your registration payment to help support Camp. (see below)
- Refund & Donate – Receive a partial refund and make a partial donation of your registration payment.
- Full Refund – Receive a full refund of your registration payment.
In making this choice, we are asking for your help…
- Summer session cancellations could be crippling to Lutherhaven and our ability to serve you and our Camp family moving forward. If you have the ability to support Camp by donating your full summer balance, we would be very grateful!
- However, if you would still like your registration fee refunded, we completely understand and will do so.
And again, if your camp session is still happening but you no longer feel comfortable sending your child to Camp, please call our office (260-636-7101) and you will have the same options as listed above.
Once any decisions are made, we will send out an email notifying registered camper families of any changes regarding their scheduled session. Those families that are already registered should also expect an update email in mid-May.
Here are some other helpful links:
- Lutherhaven & the COVID-19 Response: Our main page for COVID-19 related news.
- Indiana’s Covid-19 Dashboard and Map: Indiana’s Guidelines and Regulations regarding Covid-19.